Installing new asphalt pavement for your driveway or parking lot is an investment that can improve drainage, make your lot safer for customers and increase property values. Once your new asphalt surface is completed, it requires care and maintenance; both when it’s new and over its lifetime. Here’s a few things you should know about the care of your new paved surface.
- If possible, keep traffic off your new asphalt for 24 hours or even longer in hotter temperatures.
- It often takes 6-12 months for the surface of your new asphalt to harden and cure completely. During this time, we suggest
- Avoid turning the steering wheels of parked vehicles while they are not moving. This can create “power steering marks”. Instead, turn the wheel slowly and gradually.
- Excessive weight from large vehicles can create depressions in your new pavement. If you are parking large vehicles for an extended period, we recommend placing a large flat item under the vehicle to spread the load, particularly during warm weather.
- Install stone, gravel or topsoil around the perimeter of your newly paved surface to protect and support the edges. Like a shoulder on a highway, this can help control erosion while supporting the edges and the appearance of the pavement.
- Gasoline, fuel oil lubricants or other petroleum-based products can damage the pavement if left unchecked. If spills or leaks of these products do occur, scrub the area thoroughly with soap or detergent and rinse well with water. You can also use cat litter to soak up the liquid, then sweep it up. Don’t have any detergent handy? Pour a few cans of Coke on the stain, then give it a spay the next morning and the stain should be gone!
- Seal coat your new paved surface regularly to protect and prolong its life expectancy. Sealcoating should be completed every 2-3 years to help keep damaging UV rays, vehicle fluids and water from deteriorating your paved surface.
Johnson & Sons works only with state-certified plants to ensure a high-quality asphalt that meets or exceeds your project specifications. We also offer a full range of asphalt and concrete construction services. Contact us today for a free, no-obligation estimate and project assessment.